This workshop is an opportunity for field linguistic researchers to receive basic training in language documentation research. The following topics are planned to be covered this year:
- What is “Language Documentation”?
- How to improve the quality of recording audio and video data (settings of recording devices, etc.)
- How to take photos for language documentation
- Get acquainted with the software applications for processing recorded data
- Metadata and meta-documentation
- Ethical issues in language documentation
- Group work of language documentation
18 (Fri.)–24 (Thu.), February 2011, 10:00–17:00
- Peter Austin (SOAS, University of London)
- David Nathan (SOAS, University of London)
- Anthony Jukes (La Trobe University)
- Hideo Sawada (ILCAA, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies)
|2/18 (FRI)||Meet students and explain overall structure||Check students’ computers|
|2/19 (SAT)||Documentation (Lecture)||Audio & Video (Lecture)||Audio (Practice)||Project planning, make groups|
|2/20 (SUN)||Counseling for individual students by Japanese staff||Counseling for individual students by Japanese staff|
|2/21 (MON)||Data management (Lecture)||Software & multimedia (Lecture)||Work with consultants||Work with consultants|
|2/22 (TUE)||Metadata & meta-documentation (Lecture)||Photography(Lecture)||Work with consultants||Work with consultants|
|2/23 (WED)||Toolbox/Transcriber(Lecture)||Fieldwork (Lecture)||Project work||Project work|
|2/24 (THU)||Ethics (Lecture)||Archiving (Lecture)||Project demonstrations||Discussion & feedback|
*The modified parts are indicated in red. (2011-02-10)
Information for Participants
- DocLing2011 will provide introductory training, and previous knowledge or experience in language documentation research is not required. Participants in the previous DocLing workshops are also welcome.
- Previous experience in field work is not necessarily required. Researchers who are planning to start field work are also encouraged to participate.
- Participants are expected to attend the whole program (a certificate of completion will be issued at the end of the workshop). If you have any questions, please contact us (email@example.com) for more information.
- Training Workshops
- Language Documentation
- Joint Research Projects
- Research Meetings and Symposia
- Outreach Events
- Past Projects