DocLing 2012: Documentary Linguistics Workshop focusing on working with native speaker linguists and resource development.
This workshop is an opportunity for field linguistic researchers to receive basic training in language documentation research. The following topics are planned to be covered this year:
- What is “Language Documentation”?
- How to improve the quality of recording audio and video data (settings of recording devices, etc.)
- Get acquainted with the software applications for processing recorded data
- Metadata and meta-documentation
- Ethical issues in language documentation
- Group work of language documentation
The workshop includes practical work in language documentation with consultants, who are native speakers of minority languages of Indonesia.
11 (Sat.)–16 (Thu.), February 2012, 10:00–17:00
- David Nathan (SOAS, University of London)
- Anthony Jukes (RCLT, La Trobe University)
- Nikolaus P. Himmelmann (University of Cologne)
- Hideo Sawada (ILCAA, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies)
- Honoré Watanabe (ILCAA, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies)
- Iku Nagasaki (Research Associate, ILCAA, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies)
Unfortunately, Prof. Peter Austin is unable to come to Japan this time.
Prof. Dr. Nikolaus P. Himmelmann will join the teaching staff.
Native Speaker Consultants
- Budi Sudarmanto (Balai Bahasa Palembang, Researcher)
- Hendrik Paat (The Faculty of Languages and Arts, State University of Manado, Lecturer)
- I Wayan Budiarta (The Coordination Office of Private University Area VIII, Lecturer)
- Jermy Balukh (School of Foreign Languages, Cakrawala Nusantara Kupang, Timor, Indonesia, Lecturer
|Sat Feb 11||Language documentation: what is it? (lecture)||Discuss goals and project||Audio recording 1 (lecture)||Audio recording 2 (lecture)|
|Sun Feb 12||—||—||Basics of text file manipulation 1 (lecture)||Basics of text file manipulation 2 (lecture)|
|Mon Feb 13||Video (lecture)||Data management (lecture)||Working with speakers (lecture)||Group project planning|
|Tue Feb 14||Fieldwork practicalities (lecture)||Software for transcription & annotation (lecture)||Group recording||Group transcription|
|Wed Feb 15||Multimedia & mobilisation (lecture)||Group project work||Group project presentation||Group project sharing|
|Thu Feb 16||Archiving (lecture)||Corpus integration||Corpus integration||Whole corpus presentations|
Information for Participants
- DocLing2012 will provide introductory training, and previous knowledge or experience in language documentation research is not required. Participants in the previous DocLing workshops are also welcome.
- Previous experience in field work is not necessarily required. Researchers who are planning to start field work are also encouraged to participate.
- Participants are expected to attend the whole program (a certificate of completion will be issued at the end of the workshop). If you have any questions, please contact us (email@example.com) for more information.
- Training Workshops
- Language Documentation
- Joint Research Projects
- Research Meetings and Symposia
- Outreach Events
- Past Projects
Field linguistics workshop: Technical workshop: Facilitation of on ...
【Postponed】Study of Tibetan Pastoral Culture in Qinghai and its ...
【Cancelled】Aspects of Agglutination in Turkic Languages: An Inte ...