The Workshop aims to further develop the skills of participants in preparing and processing language data, with a focus on archiving and its relationship to language documentation. It will consist of a mix of tutorial/lecture/discussion sessions, and guided groupwork sessions. Participants are expected to bring their own field data.
2 (Tue.)–5 (Fri.), February 2010, 10:00–17:00
- Peter Austin
- David Nathan
- Anthony Jukes (SOAS, University of London)
|Tue Feb 2||Wed Feb 3||Thu Feb 4||Fri Feb 5|
All meet and discuss background and goals
|Video I||ELAN I||Ethical and IP issues in language material salvage, archiving, delivery and usage|
|Video II||ELAN II||Group project work|
|14:00-15:20||Public lecture 1||Salvaging data I||ELAN III||Group project work|
|15:40-17:00||Public lecture 2||Salvaging data II
Startup group projects 
|Group project work||Group project presentations
- Public Lecture 1 (Tue Feb 2)
- Peter Austin (Endangered Languages Academic Programme, SOAS, University of London)
- Current Issues in Language Documentation (1.5MB)
- Public Lecutre 2 (Tue Feb 2)
- David Nathan (Endangered Languages Archive, SOAS, University of London)
- New Trends in Documentary Linguistics (3MB)
- Simons, Gary 1999 The Nature of Linguistic Data and the Requirements of a Computing Environment for Linguistic Research (especially read section 7)
- Bird, Steven and Gary Simons 2003 Seven dimensions of portability (we looked at this before but please review the content)
- http://www.language-archives.org/documents/portability.pdf (129K)
- Thieberger, Nicholas 2005 Computers in field linguistics. Encyclopedia of Languages and Linguistics
- Claire Bowern 2003 Laves’ Bardi Texts
- http://lingdy.aacore.jp/doc/docling2010/FEL_formatted.pdf (457K)
- Pamera Innes 2009 Ethical problems in archival research: Beyond accessibility
- http://lingdy.aacore.jp/doc/docling2010/Innes.pdf (135K)
- Carolyn O’Meara, Jeff Good 2009 Ethical issues in legacy language resources
- http://lingdy.aacore.jp/doc/docling2010/OMearaGood.pdf (175K)
Information for Participants
This year’s workshop will cover (1) video recording, (2) salvaging data, and (3) ELAN. For those participants who have already been doing some fieldwork, please bring representative samples of your fieldwork data (such as a small number of audio recordings, field notes, transcriptions, metadata, images etc). In preparation for the workshop, participants are required to do the readings that are listed below.
- Training Workshops
- Language Documentation
- Joint Research Projects
- Research Meetings and Symposia
- Outreach Events
- Past Projects
An Inter-disciplinary Approach to the Diversity and Dynamics of Sw ...
LingDy Forum: A state of the art approach to underdescribed inland ...
Field linguistics workshop: Technical workshop: How to design an e ...