DocLing2013: Documentary Linguistics Workshop focusing on working with native speaker linguists and resource development.
This workshop is an opportunity for field linguistic researchers to receive basic training in language documentation research. It aims to provide methodological and technical training in various aspects of language documentation and archiving of endangered/minority languages.
Language documentation research aims to systematically and comprehensively accumulate raw linguistic data of individual languages. What makes it different from a traditional descriptive approach is that its interest centers on the data itself. Audio and video materials obtained through fieldwork can be used not only for linguistic study in a narrow sense, but also may serve as data for research in various fields, language revitalization activities and so forth. The workshop focuses on the potential value of the raw data and considers how to enhance its quality and usability.
The following topics are planned to be covered this year:
- What is “Language Documentation”?
- What is “Language Archiving”?
- How to maximise the quality of recording audio and video data (choice of recording equipment and techniques)
- Data management (processing and assigning metadata)
- Data mobilization
- Process of archiving
- Photography in language documentation
- Issues in field linguistic research
11 (Mon.)–16 (Sat.), February 2013
- Peter AUSTIN (SOAS, University of London)
- David NATHAN (SOAS, University of London)
- Anthony JUKES (CRLD, La Trobe University)
- Sonja RIESBERG (University of Cologne)
- Hideo SAWADA (ILCAA, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies)
Native Speaker Consultants
- Tshering Tashi (Royal Society for Protection of Nature, Board Director, Dzongkha native speaker (Bhutan))
- Namgay Thinley (Dzongkha Development Commission, Senior Research Officer, Dzongkha native speaker (Bhutan))
- Zhargal Badagarov (Buryat State University, Lecturer, Buryat native speaker (Buryatia, Russian Federation))
- Kristian Walianggen (Center of Endangered Language Documentation, State University of Papua, Language Consultant, Yali native speaker (Papua, Indonesia))
The lectures will be from 10:00 to 17:00 every day. In the afternoon of the first day (11 Feb) a public lecture by the teaching staff is scheduled.
(10 Feb 2013)
|Mon Feb 11||【Video】Introduction to language documentation(PA)||【Video】Planning language documentation(AJ, DN)||
【Video】Public lecture: “Rethinking language documentation and support for the 21st century” (PA, DN, AJ)
【Video】Ethics and working with communities (PA，guest presenter: Anna BERGE)
|Prepare individual laptops / software|
|Tue Feb 12||【Video】Audio & video (DN, AJ)||【Video】Audio & video (AJ, DN)||Set up groups & projects (DN)||Group projects design & report (group & staff)|
|Wed Feb 13||【Video】Fieldwork techniques & elicitation (SR)||Recording with consultants (groups & staff)||Software for documentation – survey (PA, AJ)||Software for documentation – practical demonstration (AJ)|
|Thu Feb 14||【Video】Data management (DN)||【Video】Data management (DN)||【Video】Multimedia & mobilisation (AJ, DN)||【Video】Photography for documentation (HS)|
|Fri Feb 15||Archiving (DN)||Group project development (group & staff)||Group project development (group & staff)||Individual clinic / Group project (group & staff)|
|Sat Feb 16||Individual clinic / Group project (group & staff)||Group project finalisation (group & staff)||Project presentation (groups)||Project presentations (groups), Wrap-up (all)|
PA:Peter AUSTIN, DN:David NATHAN, AJ:Anthony JUKES, SR:Sonja RIESBERG, HS:Hideo SAWADA
- Training Workshops
- Language Documentation
- Joint Research Projects
- Research Meetings and Symposia
- Outreach Events
- Past Projects
Field linguistics workshop: Technical workshop: Facilitation of on ...
【Postponed】Study of Tibetan Pastoral Culture in Qinghai and its ...
【Cancelled】Aspects of Agglutination in Turkic Languages: An Inte ...